Selecting A Qualified Houston Roofing Contractor
Buying a new roof is a major investment, and it pays to choose the right Houston roofing contractor the first time. Before your search begins, familiarize yourself with roofing basics so you can more easily communicate your needs. This will also help you know quality roofing systems when you see them and will make it easier to make sense of the bids or proposals you receive.
Roofing System Components
Houston residential roofing systems consist of these components:
- Roof Covering – Typically in the form of shingles, slate, tile or metal, plus underlayment.
- Sheathing – Sheet materials or boards fastened to the rafters.
- Roof Structure – The trusses and rafters that give the roof its shape.
- Flashing – Materials, typically sheet metal, that are installed at valleys and joints to prevent water seepage.
- Drainage – Strategically shaping, sloping or laying out a roof to ensure optimal drainage.
Choosing a Roof System
The top factors to consider when choosing a Houston roof replacement include durability, cost and style. The main decision you must make is which type of roof covering to use. Options include:
- Asphalt Shingles – The most popular option, they may be reinforced with fiberglass or organic materials. Some are coated with copper or zinc to ward off algae growth. Others, typically called architectural shingles, are laminated and textured for extra style.
- Wood Shingles or Shakes – Typically made of cedar, southern pine or redwood, this covering is aesthetically pleasing.
- Tile – Made out of concrete or clay, tile is very durable but extra heavy, so it cannot be used on all roofs unless they are properly reinforced.
- Slate – Available in many grades and colors, slate is exceptionally durable and has an historic look.
- Metal – Most commonly used on low-slope roofs, metal shingles or panels last for decades, are lightweight and are exceptionally weather-resistant.
Proper Planning and Choosing a Houston Roofing Company
Proper planning is the key to ending up with the right contractor and right roofing system. When looking for a Houston roofing company, consider these points:
- Insured, Licensed and Bonded – Make sure the Houston roofing contractor you are considering is fully licensed, bonded and insured.
- Financially Stable – Ask for proof of financial stability before signing anything.
- Proven Track Record – Ask for references and follow up on them. A little online sleuthing should also reveal a lot.
- Written Proposals – Request a detailed written proposal. This is where the planning really comes into play. The proposal should include details like the timeframe of the job, information about warranties that are included, payment terms and more.
Finally, do not be swayed by a drastically low bid. This tends to be a huge red flag. Reputable contractors charge fair prices–not lowball ones. That is not to say you should not be concerned about price. Just do not get taken for a ride based on an unrealistically low bid.
If you are looking for a Houston roofing contractor with a proven track record and over 20 years of satisfied residential and commercial clients, Paramount Roofing has you covered. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule your free estimate.