Old Man Winter is on his way. It is time to prepare your roof for his arrival. Residents of the Houston area know that we will be seeing heavy rains, high winds, hail storms and an abundance of so-called “wintry mix” precipitation. The last thing you want is to call in a The Woodlands roofing contractor to replace or repair your roof. You can avoid wintry damage by following a few tips that will lengthen your roof’s lifespan and protect your home simultaneously.
It is easier to inspect your roof in fall than in winter. This visual exam for pre-existing damage or problem areas will help you determine if your home is ready for its hardest season or if you need to call in a company that handles The Woodlands roof repair. You do not have to get a ladder or climb onto the roof. You can inspect it from the ground. Use binoculars if you want greater detail. Look for the following signs that your roof requires attention.
- Any discolored spots could be a sign of moss or algae. These fungi must be removed from the roof as quickly as possible before they damage the shingles.
- You should not have any missing or loose shingles. Have The Woodlands residential roofing company replace or repair them. Curled shingles in a certain area can be corrected, but if your roof is covered with curled shingles, it could be time to replace it.
- One or more sagging areas might mean that the plywood framing below the roof is rotten.
- The piece of sheet metal that attaches your roof’s joints to the side of your home, chimney or pipes is called the flashing. Holes in the flashing can cause leaks in the roof. Any holes or gaps must be repaired.
- It is a good idea to have debris and excess dirt removed from your roof. A buildup of leaves and twigs could create pools of water that seep between the shingles to damage the framing.
- Check your gutters. If you can see that they are filled with debris, have Paramount Roofing clean them for you. Leaking or flooded gutter systems spill water next to your home, which can undermine its foundation.
Contact Paramount Roofing at 713-748-4000 if you would like to schedule an inspection. We will examine your roof and provide a free estimate if it requires attention. We can also set up regular maintenance so that your roof is ready for the cold bite of winter or the glare of summer.